Suffering from dry skin in the winter is no walk in the park. Some people suffer from dry skin throughout the year. Exposure to hot water and certain pollutants make this condition far worse.
Your body is a dynamic organism that constantly changes physically. Similarly, when the weather changes, your body learns to adapt immediately and you may end up having dry skin, which is common in most cases.
Skin tends to be the driest in winter, when temperatures and humidity levels plummet. Central heating and space heaters tend to dry our skin further. During the summer, we tend to sweat more, which is good for our skin and keeps it nourished. During the harsh and cold winter, our skin sweats less and doesn’t get adequate moisture to keep it nourished and glowing. Many popular soaps and face washes strip moisture from your skin as they are formulated to remove oil. Taking long, hot showers can dry our skin too.
You can prevent and treat dry skin by making a few lifestyle changes. Try to:
- Avoid using hot water to wash your face
- Use a moisturising face wash which is paraben free
- Apply face lotion immediately after washing your face
- Pat, rather than rub wet skin dry with a soft towel
- Use a humidifier in your home
- Drink plenty of water
Quality moisturizers can help soothe and repair dry, itchy and irritated skin. But with so many moisturizers available in the market, how do you find one that works for you?
It seems easy enough when you jot down “buy moisturiser” on your to-do list. But wander the skin care aisles online or in a store and you quickly learn that the choices can be confounding. There are face creams, body and facial moisturizers, lotions or ointments for dry, sensitive, light or dark skin. Add in anti-aging ingredients and sunscreens and the confusion just grows.
So how do you know what moisturizer is best for you? Choose a moisturizer that contains at least some of the following ingredients:
- Hyaluronic acid : Best known for promoting proper moisture balance in the skin, it also helps in reducing the appearance of fine lines and
- Ceramides: They help in creating a barrier to prevent They lock moisture into your skin, preventing dryness and irritation.
- Glycerin: Helps in improving skin function to slow down aging and gives skin an instant glow by drawing moisture to the top layer of skin.
- Antioxidants: Protect your skin against free radicals like air pollutants, chemicals and cigarette smoke.
- Plant butters and oils: As they don’t contain harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrances, parabens, preservatives, microbeads and other dubious ingredients nurturing your skin in a gentle way.
The one moisturizer that works well for all skin types is the Paul Penders Dry Skin Relief. Made in the Himalayas and enriched with 22 organically grown herbs, it locks in hydration, making your skin feel soft and healthy with its creamy smooth texture. It’s hypoallergenic and has a floral fragrance. It’s rich in vitamin E, ceramides and antioxidants and contains glycerin and plant butters.
Use it straight after your shower or bath when your skin is still moist. Apply a bit of the moisturiser using broad massaging strokes being careful not to use too much or your skin could get greasy. Always follow it up with a sunscreen like the Paul Penders Herbal Sun Prosperity.
Similarly, at night use it after cleansing and toning your face. For best results follow it up with a night cream like the Paul Penders Avocado and Cranberry Night Time moisturizer.
These simple measures during the winter will handy for happy and healthy skin.
Read More: Best Natural Skin Care Products